In the previous episode, we mentioned that a projector is a device that uses light to magnify and project data on a transparent sheet through a refractor. With the rapid development of technology, how to integrate digital technology into education has become a new topic, and "electronic whiteboard" is an important tool to help children connect traditional education and the digital tools.
An electronic whiteboard is a device that presents computer images through a digital projector. Students can directly use the touch screen, and teachers can design a course as a game. The teaching mode can be changed and the learning experience may be deepened with this intuitive whiteboard.
The unique track design is for two-way usage. As long as the blackboard is pushed away, the electronic whiteboard is shown. This design can save more space in the classrooms.
Now let’s make a mini version of the electronic whiteboard and design a course.
◆Preparation (5 minutes)
1. Let students observe the electronic whiteboard equipment, and then teachers explain the storage principle of the electronic whiteboard is to make a mobile track that can show or hide the electronic whiteboard as sliding door.
2. Prepare the components required for the model. Students can use any colors of cubes.
◆Demonstration of model making (10 minutes)
You can follow the assembly steps to build the model.
* It is recommended to review the functions of components with students during the demonstration, such as axles and pulleys, etc.
Step 1: Combine two C-15 HOLE DUAL ROD and place them on the C-JUMBO BASE GRID using B-SHORT PEG as shown in the figure.
Step 2: Combine C-3 HOLE DUAL ROD, C-5 HOLE DUAL ROD, C-15 HOLE DUAL ROD, and B-SHORT PEG to make a frame as shown.
Step 3: Add C-5 HOLE DUAL ROD at the front and back of the track, and combine with the frames of step 2 as shown.
Step 4: Use 16 cubes to make two 4x4 blackboards, and the color of cubes can be replaced according to your package.
Step 5: Place the blackboard and whiteboard on the rear track. For the method of whiteboard, please refer to the projector in the previous episode.
Step 6: Combine six C-11 HOLE ROD, and place C-15 HOLE DUAL ROD on the upper and lower sides.
Step 7: Place C-OD23mm PULLEY with C-30mm AXLE Ⅱ in the four corners. Please choose the correct size of the pulley and the axle to avoid operational failure.
Step 8: Place the mobile blackboard on the track to test whether it can move smoothly.
Step 9: Assemble the track and place it on top of the mobile blackboard. Congratulation! You're have made it.
◆Production and Play (20 minutes)
1. Encourage students to assemble the electronic whiteboard model by themselves, and the teacher can provide assistance in due course.
2. If some students complete it early, they can do more by making it a complete classroom scenario (such as tables, chairs, characters, etc.) with more parts and place them on the JUMBO BASE GRID.
◆Summary and Tidy up (5 minutes)
1. The teacher can summarize at the end of the course, explain the principle of the electronic whiteboard, and discuss the extensive functions of the electronic whiteboard, such as: touchable, with drawing tools, etc.
2. Ask the students to dismantle the models, classify the parts and return them to their correct storage positions. Don’t forget to remind students to use a B-PEG REMOVER while dismantling the parts.
The scientific principles used in this model are tracks and axles.
Tracks refer to all tools that lay guiding routes for objects to travel. The most common example in life is trains.
After we set up the track, we can then place the mobile blackboard. During the pushing process, the frictional force between the track and the blackboard will cause the pulley to rotate according to the central axle, thereby the blackboard can move smoothly on the track.
Please note that if the pulleys are not tightened or there is a gap between the tracks, the blackboard may get stuck!
When I was a student, the electronic whiteboard in the class brought some fun for us. In class, I felted excited when teachers turned on the electronic whiteboard. Whether it was playing videos, drawing pictures, or touching and clicking, we as students were amazed because it could add more variety to the ordinary classroom.
Through this model, students can understand the evolution of technology, experience the fun of creation, and gain a sense of accomplishment!
Let us look forward to the next adventure of the educational time machine!
Electronic whiteboard, track, wheel and axle, blackboard, technology, education.
MS-PS2-2 Plan an investigation to provide evidence that the change in an object’s motion depends on the sum of the forces on the object and the mass of the object.
3-ESS3-1 Engineers improve existing technologies or develop new ones to increase their benefits (e.g., better artificial limbs), decrease known risks (e.g., seatbelts in cars), and meet societal demands (e.g., cell phones).
MS-PS2-3 Ask questions that can be investigated within the scope of the classroom, outdoor environment, and museums and other public facilities with available resources and, when appropriate, frame a hypothesis based on observations and scientific principles.